Perfect timing for Valentine’s Day, no? As most of you know, I loooove chocolate, strawberries, and the color pink! Basically, Valentine’s Day and I were meant for each other. When I walk into a grocery store this time of year, I am like one of those insects instantly pulled into the glowing light! ZZZZZZAP!!! The bugs dead and I am heading home with bags of peanut butter cups, m&ms, chocolate hearts, boxes of chocolates and cutsie little heart decorations for my house.
I’m not sure if I have more fun giving little Valentines goodies away or eating them myself (it may be about equal). Over the past several years, I became known as the person who always decorated for holidays, baked treats for the proper occasion and remembered most of friends birthdays. I am sad to say I have been slacking a bit lately, as my BFF Alice’s Boyfriend expressed his sadness because I forgot to text him on his birthday. So sorry Adam- I owe you a cake!!!
Anyways, I am NOT slacking this year on my Valentine’s goodies. These cute little cupcakes are perfect to share with friends or at work and you will have plenty left over for yourself. If you don’t have the small cupcake pans, you can go ahead and make the big ones too….more chocolate for you! I love bittersweet chocolate because it has a higher cocoa content than semisweet which gives it a richer, more chocolaty flavor. Also, using chocolate bars instead of powder will give a more moist and smooth texture to your cake. This chocolate cake is topped with sweet strawberry butter cream which is the perfect combination for Valentines Day if you ask me!
Just a warning….these cupcakes are pretty addicting and so cute I bet you can’t eat just one… nor would I want you to.
PS. I got a new DSLR Canon camera and I had a TON of fun taking these awesome, higher quality pictures. I hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I do!!
Enjoy and let us know what you think!
- 6 oz Bittersweet Baking Chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 & 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 & 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 & 1/4 cups water or coffee
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 to 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mashed and drained fresh strawberries (or frozen and thawed)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place cupcake papers into mini cupcake pan.
- 2. Microwave chocolate and butter in large microwaveable bowl for 2 minutes or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- 3. Add sugar and mix well.
- 4. Then add eggs, 1 at a time and beat after each addition until well blended. Add vanilla and mix well.
- 5. In a small bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt. Add one cup at a time to the large bowl alternating with the water (or coffee). Beat well after each addition. Using a small ice cream scoop, fill each cupcake paper 3/4 full.
- 6. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Leave in pans for 5 minutes. Place on cooling rack.
- 1. In a large bowl beat butter using an electric mixer until fluffy.
- 2. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time, beat between each cup (use more or less sugar depending on taste). Then add mashed strawberries and vanilla and beat again for about 2 more minutes.
- 3. If you desire a deeper pink color, add a few drops of red or pink food coloring.
- 4. Spread or pipe on to cooled cupcakes.
- 1.5 cups of bakers melting chocolate
- 1. Trace hearts (or other shape) on to parchment or waxed paper and flip over onto a cookie sheet.
- 2. Melt chocolate until smooth and then let cool a few minutes and place chocolate into a frosting bag or baggie. Use a small frosting tip or clip a very small corner from the baggie.
- 3. Trace the hearts with the melted chocolate making think lines (or the chocolate will be fragile and possibly break when hardened).
- 4. Set aside and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- 5. Once the chocolate is hard, peel off and place into frosted cupcake.