I am so excited to share these sweet and delicious Valentine inspired cookies with you! One of my best friends (Katy Weaver– she’s an awesome photographer BTW) recently went to Costa Rica for an awesomely warm and relaxing vacation (can you tell I am jealous?). Although I couldn’t join her, she thoughtfully brought me back a container of Guava Jelly. She told me, “I figured you could bake something with this!”…And boy, Katy was right! The guava jam is reminiscent of my old favorite natural fruit roll ups: sweet, tangy and slightly tart. I might actually be addicted to these cookies and I might have ruined all of my friends too.I’m also really excited about these cookies because Bobs Red Mill recently came up with a new delicious flour made of hazelnuts! Hazelnut flour is like adding a bonus to your baking, more protein, healthy fats and a super delicious nutty flavor! If you can’t find this flour in your stores yet, you can carefully grind up hazelnuts in your food processor (be careful not to heat it – to prevent creating hazelnut butter). I consider myself very lucky because I grew up in Milwaukie- which is the hometown of Bobs Red Mill! They have an awesome bulk section and carry so many different types of flours to bake with! They are also very gluten-free friendly! If you live in Oregon- I suggest you check it out at your earliest convenience!
You can turn these cookies into any shape you please- they would even work for Super Bowl Sunday if you have football cookie cutters! Or if you are super artsy, you can cut each one out individually!
Check out the recipe below, enjoy, and let us know what you think!! 🙂
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1/2 cup hazelnut flour (or ground hazelnuts)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Guava or Raspberry Jam (or your favorite)
- Powdered Sugar for sprinkling
- 1. In a large bowl beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat for 2 minutes or until smooth. Then add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Set aside.
- 2. In a medium sized bowl whisk together: sifted flour, hazelnut flour, cinnamon, and salt.
- 3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet in two additions and mix together until smooth.
- 4. Spilt dough into two servings and then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour or until batter is somewhat hard and won’t melt easily in your hands.
- 5. After an hour, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 5. On a lightly floured clean surface (I used a silicone baking mat), roll out your dough into 1/8” thickness and cut all cookies with your favorite cookie cutters; I used hearts for Valentines Day! In half of the cookies, use a smaller cookie cutter to remove the center.
- 6. Bake on an un-greased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes until edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit for 2 minutes. Using a spatula, place cookies on a wire rack to cool.
- 7. When cookies are cool, spread 1 teaspoon of your favorite jam over the bottom of the solid cookies. Using a sifter, sprinkle cutout cookies with powdered sugar and place on top of the jam covered cookie.
- 8. Enjoy!!
Baked by Michelle for MoreChocolate.net