These cupcakes are delicious, fluffy and made of dark chocolate topped with peppermint buttercream frosting. They are easy to make and beautiful for your Holiday Party! The batter is thin which makes it easy to pour into cupcake tins for quick baking. The frosting is light and delicious made with melted bakers chocolate. This is my new favorite winter dessert!!
This has been a very interesting fall/winter season! This last weekend it was at least 50 degrees out and neighbors were out on their roofs in t-shirts putting their Christmas lights on! Having warm weather makes it hard to believe that Christmas is just a few weeks away! I always wish for a white Christmas!
The last few months have been super busy because my boyfriend of five years proposed to me! Stephen and and my good friend Alice designed months in advance: OMP (Operation Mountain Proposal). It was planned that we (Alice’s family and us) would hike up Mt. Equinox, a 3000’ elevation and enjoy a simple lunch with a view. I was unsuspecting because Stephen carefully hid the ring in a secret pocket of his backpack. When taking group pictures, Stephen got down on one knee and proposed with the valley behind him. Of course I said yes and the family surprised us with champagne (Alice’s dad drove it to the top!). That night, the family had also planned a wild wild west party where everyone celebrated!
Of course I will be making my own wedding cupcakes, off to the planning stages we go!! What cake flavor did you have at your wedding?
Enjoy the recipe below and leave me a comment!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (I prefer Bob's Red Mill)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 packet instant coffee (dark is preferred)
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 4-8 ounces unsweetened chocolate bar (More chocolate = richer frosting)
- 1 cup butter (room temperature)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake papers in the cupcake pan.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients including sugar, flower, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 3. Add eggs, milk, oil, vanilla extract, and instant coffee packet and beat well with mixer (or by hand).
- 4. Carefully stir in hot coffee (do not burn yourself). Batter will be very thin.
- 5. Using a measuring cup with a lip, fill each cupcake only HALF full (it may boil over if you fill it more).
- 6. Bake 20-28min (check at 20 and add 2-3min each session until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 7. Rest for five minutes and place cupcakes on cooling rack. Prepare frosting.
- 1. Prepare a double broiler (or place a small pot with an inch of water in the bottom on the stove with a heat proof bowl over the pot).
- 2. Bring water to a boil and add chocolate bar cut into small chunks. Stir until melted and remove from heat.
- 3. While the chocolate cools, beat butter until light and fluffy.
- 4. Add chocolate and mix well, be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl often to incorporate all ingredients.
- 5. Add one cup of sugar at a time and beat well after each addition. If it gets too dry, add a tablespoon of milk to thin.
- 6. Add vanilla extract and peppermint extract and mix well.
- 7. When cupcakes are cool, pipe or spread frosting onto cupcakes.
- 8. Enjoy!