Spring break has begun! Last weekend I traveled back to my home-town Portland, Oregon! It has been great seeing all my friends and family again as well as be outside in the upper 50 degree weather. When I left Boston last Friday we had just about 10″ of snow on the ground and I was worried my flight might have been delayed. But, I made it to Portland on time and have been thoroughly enjoying myself. So far I have been skiing, shopping, out to lunch and dinner, baked Home-Made Oreos, bike riding and cuddling with Koders. Tonight were having late birthday drinks for myself since I was back in Boston. I don’t mind my birthday being spread out over a month 🙂
I made two loaves of this Banana Nutella Bread and recently, it was one of the best decisions I have made. One loaf was with wheat flour and the other was gluten-free. Both turned out amazing and I feel like I could almost change this post to “cake” instead of bread. Seriously, this Banana Nutella Bread is a dessert- that I couldn’t stop eating right out of the oven so it turned into my lunch. I brought a loaf to school for a project and several friends were raving about how delicious it was and they wanted more. So, if you have some old bananas sitting around, go to the store and buy some Nutella- it’s so worth it. Enjoy- I know you will.
- 2 cups flour (I prefer whole wheat pastry flour)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups ripe banana (in small chunks)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bread loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- 2. In a medium bowl: stir together flour, baking soda & salt.
- 3. In a separate large bowl: beat sugar and butter until smooth. Add eggs and beat for 1 minute.
- 4. Add banana, milk and vanilla, and beat until blended. I like small chunks of banana in my bread- if you don’t smash bananas ahead of time.
- 5. Gradually add flour mixture, beating until blended but be careful to avoid over-mixing.
- 6. Spoon Nutella into a small dish and soften in the microwave for about 15 seconds. Add a heaping cup of the banana bread batter to the Nutella and stir until blended.
- 7. Spoon Nutella batter alternately with plain banana bread batter into the prepared bread pan. Swirl batters together with a knife.
- 8. Bake for 50- 60 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- **Optional Gluten-free version: Substitute flour for 1 & 1/4 cup white rice flour and 3/4 cup millet flour and add 2 teaspoons xantham gum.
Below: Gluten Free Version. Just as delicious 🙂
Recipe adapted from: Ramshackle Glam.
Baked by Michelle for MoreChocolate.net