I know my last post announced the beginning of Healthy March Month, but that all goes out the window when a birthday comes around. My friend Kevin (Happy Birthday Kev!) turned 25 this year and likes to keep things low key. Due to my inability to draw and make cool birthday cards (thanks for my awesome card, Kev!) the solution I came up with was a simple cookie recipe.
These flourless peanut butter cookies are delicious, simple and took less than 10 minutes to throw together. They are inherently gluten free due to the main ingredient being peanut butter. Even though I love to bake, being healthy is also very important to me. I am excited that some food companies have finally figured out that natural food is better. However, I have always been a fan of those un-natural peanut butter brands (my mom always bought Adams Peanut Butter- just about as natural as it gets- and I didn’t like it). To my excitement, Skippy and Jif have now made a more natural product (without hydrogenated oils in them) and they are labeled natural! They taste delicious due to the addition of sugar (note: Jif is a bit sweeter than Skippy- so I prefer Skippy). A small lesson on hydrogenated oils: this product was made by adding a hydrogen molecule to the oil which extends the shelf life (good for producers, bad for our bodies). Because this fat molecule was changed, our bodies are unable to recognize it and therefore is stored away in the deep dark places that we cannot get rid of easily. It sticks around for longer and contributes to poorer health. So, my friends, please stay away from foods with hydrogenated oils to live healthier! 🙂 Best way to avoid them- read nutrition labels.
Back to the cookies: After taking the cookies out of the oven, I was worried they would be a bit crisp and crumbly. However, due to the large amount of peanut butter- they were still chewy and delicious. One of my roommates just commented that “those cookies were gone in three seconds” when I took them to my friends birthday party dinner. I’d say that’s a pretty good indicator these cookies are awesome, even without flour!
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. In a medium bowl: mix the peanut butter, sugar, vanilla, egg and baking soda until smooth.
- 3. Add desired amount of chocolate chips (more if you are a chocolate lover). Mix until combined.
- 4. Scoop 1 tablespoon full of batter into a ball and place on to un-greased cookie sheet spread out with 2’’ between each cookie.
- 5. Bake for 9-12 minutes until top of cookie begins to brown. Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet for 3 minutes.
- 6. Using a spatula, place cookies on cooling rack. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Epicurious.
Baked by Michelle for MoreChcocolate.net