I?m so glad we finally have approached the month of May because so many exciting things are taking place. Just yesterday I finished my final exams for Spring term and I am officially a 3rd year Doctorate of Physical Therapy Student!!! This is my last year of school until I am going to be living the dream and working in the real world. I have a week off school and then our short summer semester begins for 6 weeks. I am so excited to share that after completing the summer semester I will be flying home to Portland, Oregon for 2 months!!! I Can?t wait to see all my friends and family and enjoy the dry heat (it?s so humid in Boston) and greenery that Oregon boasts about. My boyfriend and I have begun planning a few trips including one to Crater Lake and many others to the Oregon Coast.
This week, one of my best friends from OSU is coming to visit me here in Boston- I am so lucky to have two of my greatest friends come see the city I have been living in for the past 2 years. We have tons of fun stuff planned including a trip to Maine (I must see both of the Portland?s!), eating in the North End and lots of Italian foods, walking the freedom trail guided tour, seeing Boston Commons and of course, shopping! We might even do some baking and blogging- Katie mentioned something about mini apple pies that are made inside an apple! Can?t wait for all the fabulous things coming up and the more time I will have to blog this summer!
I was up late last night looking for a recipe made with fresh strawberries. After looking, I couldn?t believe I have never eaten strawberry bread before. Any of my friends will tell you, the two things I LOVE are chocolate and strawberries. So, needless to say I am pretty excited about this bread and how delicious it turned out. I made lots of healthy modifications and if you cut the loaf into 12 pieces- each slice is only 130 calories! I know what you are thinking and yes I agree that you could have two slices. The bread is sweet and berrylicious, and tinted slightly pink which makes it even yummier (if you ask me). The brown sugar sprinkled on top adds an extra sweet crunch, which I highly recommend. Enjoy and let me know what you think!
- 1.5 cups chopped strawberries
- 1/3 cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
- 1/3 cup 2% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2. Chop strawberries into small pieces and then place in medium bowl. Mash strawberries a few times with the bottom of a sturdy cup or potato masher; be sure to leave some of the strawberries in chuncks. This will make some strawberry juice to provide flavor to the bread.
- 3. Add applesauce, Greek yogurt, sugar, eggs and vanilla to the strawberries and mix well.
- 4. In a large bowl combine: flour, baking soda and salt.
- 5. Add strawberry mixture to the flour mixture and stir with spoon just until combined. Don’t over-mix or the gluten will not form well, making the bread dense.
- 6. Pour mixture into greased bread pan and sprinkle with brown sugar. Place in center rack of oven.
- 7. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into bread and seeing that it comes out clean. Let bread sit in pan for 5-10 minutes then scrape sides with a butter knife to loosen bread and invert onto a cooling rack.
- 8. Enjoy warm or cool.
Baked by Michelle for MoreChocolate.net