So many exciting things have been happening over the past few weeks! I am moving home to Portland, Oregon in approximately 40 days, which means I have been searching for a house! Just a few days ago my boyfriend, puppy and I were approved for a beautiful house complete with a white picket fence, fireplace, 2 car garage and a huge back yard! Oh, I forgot to mention the spacious kitchen to bake delicious treats in!! I have been so unbelievably excited it has made the past several weeks fly by.
In other super exciting news, Stephen is visiting me in Boston for the weekend and it?s been over 2 months since I have seen him! If we were in a perfect world, Koda would come along too- but he is a little too big these days (close to 100 pounds!!). We are planning to go dancing, catch a local brewery tour, and eat delicious food in the Italian North End. After a quick weekend trip, Stephen will be moving into our new place as I will be finishing up finals in Boston- just in time for Christmas!
This apple crisp was so yummy and delicious especially with a side of Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt. I was unsure of the combination at first, but I found myself wanting more! Greek yogurt has a significantly higher amount of protein and lower fat content than ice cream and homemade whipped cream. Because this dessert is healthier than most, I would recommend it for breakfast too! One generous serving with 1/8 cup vanilla Greek yogurt and a little bit of honey is only 250 calories! I can?t wait to get some more apples and bake it again! It is perfect for a cold fall night or even for a lower calorie option at your Thanksgiving and Christmas or Holiday dinners!
Enjoy and let me know what you think!!
- 7-8 tart apples (I used Cortland)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup oats
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold)
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2. Wash, peel and cut the apples into thin slices. Place apples in a large bowl with lemon juice, vanilla, and 1/2 cup brown sugar; stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
- 3. Layer apples into a 13x9” baking dish. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon cinnamon over the apples.
- 4. Create topping: In a medium bowl combine brown sugar, cinnamon and oats.
- 5. Cut butter into small pieces and then mix into the medium bowl of topping ingredients. Sprinkle mixture evenly over the apples.
- 6. Place dish on the middle rack in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until topping is crunchy and apples are tender.
- 7. Serve with Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt and honey.
- 8. Enjoy!
- Recipe can be gluten free if gluten free oats are used!