Summer is officially upon us!! It just happens to be 100 degrees here today in sunny Portland, Oregon! Camping, boating, tanning, swimming and relaxing are just a few of my favorite things to do! Growing up, I absolutely loved making S’mores around the campfire (well, I still love making them!!).
My mom is the master of the perfect marshmallow: golden brown color, crispy on the outside, and melted on the inside; just the right temperature to melt the chocolate on your graham cracker sandwich. Of course, this requires a campfire filled with a bed hot coals so you don’t light your marshmallow on fire?and I was never very patient waiting for this moment. So, this got me to thinking, there must be another way!
My solution!? Cupcakes of course! These delicious S?mores cupcakes are topped with marshmallow cream frosting and a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs. The cake is made from a rich chocolatey batter and a graham cracker crust. These cupcakes can bring you back to one of your favorite camping moments without having to wait for those perfect coals (or burnt and crispy marshmallows). These will be perfect for your next camping trip or next BBQ/ summer celebration.
Be sure to check out the adorable printable party packs from The Enchanting Details Shop. You can decorate your cupcakes with cute papers, signs and more! The camping theme is featured today with my S?mores cupcakes!
Enjoy and let us know what you think!
- 4 Ounces unsweetened chocolate (chopped)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups sifted cake flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 package graham crackers or 1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1 bar Hershey’s chocolate for decoration
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 -7-ounce jar marshmallow cream
- 1.5- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Place cupcake liners into cupcake pans.
- 2. Prepare a double broiler. If one is not available, place about 2 inches of water into a pot and place a heatproof bowl over the pot; bring to a simmer. Place unsweetened chocolate, 1/2 cup milk, brown sugar and 1 egg yolk into the bowl on top of the pot. Stir until thick and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3. In a medium bowl whisk: sifted cake flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- 4. In a small bowl combine: 1/2 cup milk, water, and vanilla. Set aside.
- 5. In a large bowl beat butter until smooth for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar and beat with electric mixer until light and fluffy for about 5 minutes. Then add egg yolks one at a time and beat well.
- 6. On low speed, add flour mixture in three parts, alternating with milk mixture in two parts, beat until smooth. Then add chocolate mixture, mix just until combined.
- 7. Using clean beaters, whip egg whites for 2-3 minutes until size triples and whites are stiff but not dry. Fold into to cake batter.
- 8. Using a blender or food processor, pulse graham crackers into fine crumbs until you have about 1.5 cups. Separate 1/2 cup crumbs and aside for sprinkling on top of the finished cupcakes. Then, using a fork, mix 1 cup of graham cracker crumbs with 6 tablespoons of melted butter; mixture will look clumpy.
- 9. Fill each cupcake paper with about 1 tablespoon of graham cracker crust. Then fill cups until about 2/3 full with chocolate batter.
- 10. Bake for ~20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cupcake comes out clean.
- 11. Let cupcake pans sit out for 5 minutes, then place cupcakes on cooling rack. Make marshmallow cream frosting while baking/cooling cupcakes.
- While cupcakes are baking/cooling, make the marshmallow frosting.
- 1. In large clean bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy.
- 2. Add marshmallow cream and whip for 2 minutes.
- 3. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time; beat well. If you desire a sweeter frosting, use more sugar. Then add vanilla and beat until incorporated and smooth.
- 4. Once cupcakes are cooled completely, pipe or spread marshmallow frosting evenly on each cupcake.
- 5. Sprinkle cupcakes with graham cracker crumbs and top with chocolate piece. Optional: decorate with camping cupcake Printable’s from EverydayEnchanting.com.
- *To make cake flour: For every cup of flour, substitute 1 tablespoon flour for 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
Post originally appeared on EverydayEnchanting.com.
Chocolate Cake recipe adapted from the Joy of Cooking
Marshmallow frosting adapted from Oreo Marshmallow Brownies from MoreChocolate.net
Baked by Michelle for MoreChocolate.net and EverydayEnchanting.com