29 Jan Guava Hazelnut Valentine Cookies
Posted at 16:48h in Cupcakes and Cakes 0 Comments
Have you ever tried Guava jam? Seriously, it will change your life. If you don’t have it accessible, go ahead and use whatever you have on hand- raspberry or strawberry are a delicious backup. These cookies have a bit of hazelnut flour and it gives a delicious slightly nutty taste but you can also use almond flour as a substitute. I absolutely loved these cookies which are a slightly different twist on the traditional linzer cookie recipe! I hope you enjoyed them as much as I did!
Guava Hazelnut Valentine Cookies
A delicious and soft heart shaped cookie with hints of nutty flavor and filled with sweet and tangy jam.
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1/2 cup hazelnut flour or ground hazelnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Guava or Raspberry Jam or your favorite
- 2 tablespoons Powdered Sugar for sprinkling
- In a large bowl beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat for 2 minutes or until smooth. Then add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together: sifted flour, hazelnut flour, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in two additions and mix together until smooth.
- Spilt dough into two servings and then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour or until batter is somewhat hard and won’t melt easily in your hands.
- After an hour, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured clean surface (I used a silicone baking mat), roll out your dough into 1/8” thickness and cut all cookies with your favorite cookie cutters; I used hearts for Valentines Day! In half of the cookies, use a smaller cookie cutter to remove the center.
- Bake on an un-greased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes until edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit for 2 minutes. Using a spatula, place cookies on a wire rack to cool.
- When cookies are cool, spread 1 teaspoon of your favorite jam over the bottom of the solid cookies. Using a sifter, sprinkle cutout cookies with powdered sugar and place on top of the jam covered cookie.