10 Dec Mocha Peppermint Cupcakes
Posted at 16:51h in Cupcakes and Cakes 0 Comments
These cupcakes are delicious, fluffy and made of dark chocolate topped with peppermint buttercream frosting. They are easy to make and beautiful for your Holiday Party! The batter is thin which makes it easy to pour into cupcake tins for quick baking. The frosting is light and delicious made with melted bakers chocolate. This is my new favorite winter dessert!!
Mocha Peppermint Cupcakes
A delicious dark and fluffy chocolate cupcake topped with peppermint buttercream frostingAdapted from The Hershey's Chocolate Lover Cookbook
Servings: 30 cupcakes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 packet instant coffee
- 1 cup hot coffee
Chocolate Peppermint Buttercream Ingredients:
- 4-8 ounces unsweetened chocolate bar More chocolate = richer frosting
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake papers in the cupcake pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients including sugar, flower, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil, vanilla extract, and instant coffee packet and beat well with mixer (or by hand).
- Carefully stir in hot coffee (do not burn yourself). Batter will be very thin.
- Using a measuring cup with a lip, fill each cupcake only HALF full (it may boil over if you fill it more).
- Bake 20-28min (check at 20 and add 2-3min each session until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Rest for five minutes and place cupcakes on cooling rack. Prepare frosting.
- Prepare a double broiler (or place a small pot with an inch of water in the bottom on the stove with a heat proof bowl over the pot).
- Bring water to a boil and add chocolate bar cut into small chunks. Stir until melted and remove from heat.
- While the chocolate cools, beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add chocolate and mix well, be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl often to incorporate all ingredients.
- Add one cup of sugar at a time and beat well after each addition. If it gets too dry, add a tablespoon of milk to thin.
- Add vanilla extract and peppermint extract and mix well.
- When cupcakes are cool, pipe or spread frosting onto cupcakes.